Guest post written by my mum
Tomorrow I wield my spatula and take on any parent who dares to challenge me in the Your School Coffee Morning Wants You bake-off. Well I have been wielding it tonight as the buns are already made, as you can see above. And to tell the truth they are ever so slightly overdone. Thankfully the benefit of making chocolate buns is that you can't see if they have gone a bit King Alfred. If I hadn't moved house, I'd not have made any buns, as my old oven used to take about 30 minutes to even heat up! My new one takes just 8 minutes; yes I timed it and then I texted my Mum to tell her!
Anyway thoughts have been racing though my mind ... What if everyone else makes loads of really cute cupcakes with strawberry icing and sprinkles on? I was lucky to find my un-unpacked box marked Baking containing the cases and the cocoa! And I know that one other mum is bringing shop ones ... But then she has a little one at home still so she's let off. And she made biscuits on Tuesday. My most awful thought: What if all of my buns go before I get there? Am I allowed to specify that I want one of my own cakes? I've put one of his funky name tags on the top of my Nigella Lawson duck egg cake tin, so they know it's from me! Oh dear, what if I lose the Nigella cake tin? I should've just gone to the Co-Op!
Tomorrow I wield my spatula and take on any parent who dares to challenge me in the Your School Coffee Morning Wants You bake-off. Well I have been wielding it tonight as the buns are already made, as you can see above. And to tell the truth they are ever so slightly overdone. Thankfully the benefit of making chocolate buns is that you can't see if they have gone a bit King Alfred. If I hadn't moved house, I'd not have made any buns, as my old oven used to take about 30 minutes to even heat up! My new one takes just 8 minutes; yes I timed it and then I texted my Mum to tell her!
Anyway thoughts have been racing though my mind ... What if everyone else makes loads of really cute cupcakes with strawberry icing and sprinkles on? I was lucky to find my un-unpacked box marked Baking containing the cases and the cocoa! And I know that one other mum is bringing shop ones ... But then she has a little one at home still so she's let off. And she made biscuits on Tuesday. My most awful thought: What if all of my buns go before I get there? Am I allowed to specify that I want one of my own cakes? I've put one of his funky name tags on the top of my Nigella Lawson duck egg cake tin, so they know it's from me! Oh dear, what if I lose the Nigella cake tin? I should've just gone to the Co-Op!