Here's last year's wetsuit which we didn't think would still fit. But with a helping lift from Grandad, it does. Mum wanted to escape Southsea, so the first day of my holidays, we escaped to the Wall of Corn. I have not seen this wall yet, anyone know where it is?
The first day we were to undertake a task that can only happen a handful of times a year - walking to St George's Island (or Looe Island). Grandad did it at the last extreme Spring tide in June on his own. This time we were more. We followed a few people but some turned back. Some behind us turned back. We were a victorious party of 5. A lady welcomed us on our arrival. We stayed for 10 minutes and set off again. Mum thought she might have got a glass of champers!
The island is one mile offshore, and you trudge over rocks, hop over ponds and wade through seaweed like you've never seen it before. Bladder wrack hurts your skin as you push through, while the longer chorda filum (like wholewheat spaghetti) winds round and round. Grandad found scallops last time (his supper!) but none this time. It was an awesome 45 min round trip and I'm very pleased we did it.
Here I am on Treyarnon Bay beach, or TreIsland Bay as I call it, eating a pasty! I have discovered such food can quell the constant hunger pangs I have as clearly my mother never feeds me.
This was a Family Surf n Pasty Day - more photos to come in Part 2!



Comments