Our Padstow family holiday 2013



Mum chose the location of our holiday this year; Padstow is where some of her family originally came from, and she spent most of her childhood holidays here. Obviously being Cornwall, there are beautiful beaches all around, but special to this area are the seven bays for seven days. Mum thought we might attempt this on our holiday, but Dad had different ideas of sightseeing. SIGHTSEEING? We're in Cornwall for Padstow's sake. The only sights are the beaches! 

We kicked off on Day 1 of our holiday with Beach 1 (in our list) Trevone. It was a late dip, 6pm ish. We saw some lovely barnacle-mussel things in a pool and had a bit of a body surf.

Here I am playing football on the sand. 

We ventured into Padstow on the first night and found discounted end of day pasties! Proper job. I only eat pasties on the beach or on holiday in Cornwall. It's the law.

We borrowed Grandma and Grandpa's luxury caravan for the week. Mum and Dad say they will NEVER get a caravan, but they seemed pretty taken in my opinion. I say it's a luxury caravan, it comes stocked with wine and Weetabix!

Here I am again at Trevone I think. I've got the hand of body boarding now, and I am able to use Grandad's board. Next year I am getting a grown up board like this of my own. I equally like diving into and under the waves using techniques taught to me by my swimming teacher and my salty old sea dog of a Grandad.

Family pose. Ahh. 

On the last night, we went into Padstow and somehow Dad went shopping while Mum and I watched cricket in the pub! How did that happen?
As regards the seven bays, we didn't do them all. We only drove past Porthcothan so we need to actually set foot on the sand there. We also didn't do Constantine, Mother Ivey's or Booby's. We need to come back another time!

We did visit Levant Mine which produced tin and copper until its closure in 1930 after a disaster killed some of its workforce. When they renovated the boiler house in the early 1990s, Dad did the architectural drawings so he was keen to show me what he'd designed. We all found the tour very informative and I shudder at the thought of starting work there age 10, and if you were unlucky enough to get work in the calciner (to remove suphates and arsenic) you were lucky if you survived three years. And I think I'm unlucky to spend all day at school!