The frenzy of the time know as From Christmas To Ben's Birthday is over. I have a meltdown every year in the middle of it. I melt, in a downwards direction, say I can't cope, buy a couple of self-help manuals, then get better. Glynn reminded me of this. I sort of see that it happens every year, but it doesn't help in the middle of it.
Ben's birthday this year was a different affair altogether than previous years. No football party (in the snow) like last year, or joint slide'n'ball pit parties with Oscar. This year he took 7 children from the Puddler group, NCT and school to Play Zone for sliding on the red slide, followed by dinner at Pizza Hut. Glynn and I did think we were a bit crazy for doing this, but in fact it turned out to be a really relaxing 5 hour party! We had to queue for 10 minutes at Play Zone and Bob was nearly sick at Pizza Hut, but otherwise it all went well. What's in store next year?
Park Thursday is a little tricky these days. Due to my new working hours, Ben can't do after-school football on Mondays as he's at Coastguards. Instead he is now playing football on Thursdays with the PE teacher. And a team, not just the two of them. This finishes at 4.15 and we have a mad dash to the park to meet the Usual Suspects. As it's still winter, we are lucky to get half an hour in. In the summer, when the evenings are endless, we will just be a tad late.
Max and Bud are famous! See them here on the telly? They won a recycling prize and had the local BBC news team out to film them and interview Max. Here are Bud and Max proving that they are in fact real, and not just on the telly.
On Friday I had a day out the office. Or rather school. I went to the BETT conference which is all about learning technology for children. I got really excited when I saw that Phil Bagge was speaking. As some of you know, I'm teaching coding at my primary school for years 2-6 and his website has been instrumental in getting me going. In particular I have loved the Sandwich Bot video on YouTube and have done this in my classes, much to the amusement of the children. He's fab. You can't really see him here, but he's there!
My blog wouldn't be my blog without a mention of breakfasts. Southsea Coffee Shop is - well - just a coffee shop! The breakfasts there are porridge and toast. No, I'm sorry, we want a full English. We have 3 hours free of Ben, as he's at football training, so let's make the most of it. We tried Snookies today. I rate breakfast establishments mostly on their choice of sausage. This one fell slightly short of acceptable quality, but I think I've been spoilt by Capers and The Tenth Hole. However it was very good value for money, used real mushrooms, wasn't too healthy and had a drink included in the £5 cost. I will go there again.

Conrad's birthday party was held again on Saturday at the Fareham Leisure Centre, a joint football party with his mate Adam. Both the Jonibobs were invited and because this was what we did last year, we went with the Jonibobs and then went off with the Jonibobs' parents to the Osborne View pub for a quick snack and a drink. They all opted for fries, but I fancied a pudding as we were having chips later with our steak. This is jam sponge pud with custard. Yummy. We returned for pick up of a less than yummy Ben with what looked like chocolate cake all over his face, like a toddler.
Plans for next week? Sachin is coming to play Wednesday and it's Nana's birthday at the weekend.
Ben's birthday this year was a different affair altogether than previous years. No football party (in the snow) like last year, or joint slide'n'ball pit parties with Oscar. This year he took 7 children from the Puddler group, NCT and school to Play Zone for sliding on the red slide, followed by dinner at Pizza Hut. Glynn and I did think we were a bit crazy for doing this, but in fact it turned out to be a really relaxing 5 hour party! We had to queue for 10 minutes at Play Zone and Bob was nearly sick at Pizza Hut, but otherwise it all went well. What's in store next year?Park Thursday is a little tricky these days. Due to my new working hours, Ben can't do after-school football on Mondays as he's at Coastguards. Instead he is now playing football on Thursdays with the PE teacher. And a team, not just the two of them. This finishes at 4.15 and we have a mad dash to the park to meet the Usual Suspects. As it's still winter, we are lucky to get half an hour in. In the summer, when the evenings are endless, we will just be a tad late.
Max and Bud are famous! See them here on the telly? They won a recycling prize and had the local BBC news team out to film them and interview Max. Here are Bud and Max proving that they are in fact real, and not just on the telly.
On Friday I had a day out the office. Or rather school. I went to the BETT conference which is all about learning technology for children. I got really excited when I saw that Phil Bagge was speaking. As some of you know, I'm teaching coding at my primary school for years 2-6 and his website has been instrumental in getting me going. In particular I have loved the Sandwich Bot video on YouTube and have done this in my classes, much to the amusement of the children. He's fab. You can't really see him here, but he's there!
My blog wouldn't be my blog without a mention of breakfasts. Southsea Coffee Shop is - well - just a coffee shop! The breakfasts there are porridge and toast. No, I'm sorry, we want a full English. We have 3 hours free of Ben, as he's at football training, so let's make the most of it. We tried Snookies today. I rate breakfast establishments mostly on their choice of sausage. This one fell slightly short of acceptable quality, but I think I've been spoilt by Capers and The Tenth Hole. However it was very good value for money, used real mushrooms, wasn't too healthy and had a drink included in the £5 cost. I will go there again. 
Conrad's birthday party was held again on Saturday at the Fareham Leisure Centre, a joint football party with his mate Adam. Both the Jonibobs were invited and because this was what we did last year, we went with the Jonibobs and then went off with the Jonibobs' parents to the Osborne View pub for a quick snack and a drink. They all opted for fries, but I fancied a pudding as we were having chips later with our steak. This is jam sponge pud with custard. Yummy. We returned for pick up of a less than yummy Ben with what looked like chocolate cake all over his face, like a toddler.
Plans for next week? Sachin is coming to play Wednesday and it's Nana's birthday at the weekend.


Comments