The dying art of saying thank you

The Guardian's piece the other day on why thank you notes were not needed these days (who wants to be forced to write a thank you card to a wrinkly old aunt who bought you a pair of Thomas the Tank Engine socks when, at 8, you haven't liked him for, like, 2 years?!) made me think about them. This, along with the Royal Mail sponsored (I'm sure) propaganda that people would spend £20 more next year on you if you wrote them a thank you note, made me think again. Along with the Guardian writer, I think a text sometimes suffices, especially if you can send a cute photo to go with it. And I do remember those days of writing (photocopying) about 30 thank you notes and wading through my notebook du jour to find who gave what. (I have each birthday and Christmas list of presents written up in notebooks from when Ben was born.)


I admit I get a little tetchy if, at birthdays too, I'm not thanked somehow for the present. When you send money or a gift card, it's worrying to think that it hasn't been received. And even if the parents thank you, then that's something. I have left people off lists if they haven't said some sort of thank you!

There's also the problem of not being able to find many thank you notes that aren't just made for adults. Long gone are the days when I could ask my friend Emma to design me some thank yous with photos and scans of his writing, I don't have access to that technology either anymore!

But this year, I managed to find some sale Christmas cards that, with a little crossing out, could be changed into thank you cards. Phew. And, at 8, he doesn't receive 30 presents anymore. He just gets about 10 (just! - you know what I mean.) It's not so difficult to do the cards.

I set him off to do them in groups of 2 today, and lo and behold, he wrote one for us, thanking him for his Christmas presents. How sweet!

And I know my own friends, aunt and uncle (who didn't buy him the socks!), parents, in laws and OH's aunts and uncles will be delighted that he's taken the time to do what I think is the right thing.