A walk in the park

Dear Ben,

You most definitely will kill me if you read this. I'm sincerely hoping you don't. Building on the freedom afforded to you on Friday at the cinema, you were allowed to go to the park to meet E and J (both girls).  We would leave you on your own for an hour or so, the first time ever!

Update for readers:
Now this is important, J is "the new girlfriend". The only girlfriend as far as we are concerned, but she's actually number 3 (however she was also number 1, if that makes sense.) When asked why they broke up the first time, he said "Well we didn't really break up, we wandered our separate ways." She's best friends with E, long-time family friend. It was E who J convinced to text me the night of the disco, as J wasn't there. "Has the slow dance started? Did Ben dance with anyone?" That was for the Valentine, I mean Friendship Disco. (By the way, Ben bought J Lindt chocolates, always a winner, and she bought him an ACDC CD - High Voltage!) (And he didn't dance at all, just sat on the radiator with his mates looking cool!)

Back to today. The girls were walking to the park at 2pm to have a girly half-hour and then you joined them at 2.30. E's parents were meeting them by the cafe at 3.30 so we turned up then, after a quick shopping trip. I berated Dad in advance so he wouldn't embarrass you. We didn't, I don't think. It was very hard, Ben, not to question the poor girl! She seemed very nice, and I've heard nice things about her from E's mum when she went for a sleepover last week. As we were going out to have dinner in Gun Wharf, both your dad and I thought we should invite her! But you said you hadn't even been to her house yet!

This is all strange Ben. I know that girlfriends and boyfriends rarely talk to each other or even go near each other at your age, but you certainly seem to like her, and having seen the messages in your chat room on Instagram, she does like you too! Oh yes, did I mention that you left me in your Instagram chat room when you used to use my phone for it? Whoops!

On a serious note, I"m so pleased you told us about J and that you involved me in buying her Valentine card and present, and you allowed us to see her at the park. Thank youl.

Love,
Mum x