Dear Ben,
This year has certainly been a rollercoaster in terms of changes from you! Double figures, more freedom and independence, girlfriends... what more can change?
You probablly remember that every week when you were younger, we used to meet up at the park with your nursery mates, the Puddlers. Usually just the boys, the girls weren't that interested in football or kicking woodchips at each other. Well Max doesn't like football but he adapted it by bringing a huge tennis ball to play swing-ball-kick-tennis or something. Ball tag, that's it. Well over the years it's been Park Wednesday, then it changed to Park Thursday and now it's back to Park Wednesday although I recently renamed it Dark Wednesday as it's been so dark! We meet up around 4.30 ish and you lot play, Cal and I sit on the bench either working or chatting or both, Bud plays with you and we stay there til we freeze. In the dire Winter months, we repair to Max's or the JBs' house, and in the summer we usually camp out at the beach until 8pm. But at all other times, it's the park. This week heralded the soon to be here Spring. It was bright and fresh and we lasted until 6pm almost.
It also saw the first Girlfriend At The Park. Yes, J had arranged to be at the park too with her friend. They hung around separately from you and it seemed like you lot didn't know each other. Slowly, they sidled up and joined in the ball tag (the one not on the swings). Before she left, she gave you a chewing gum when you were on the swings with your mates.
I thought it was cool that you didn't leave your friends to see her, remember mates before dates! And I was pleased that on Sunday when you were arranging to see her in the park, you weren't upset that you were at football when she might've been at the park. I mean I know you're only 10, but you've got to get your priorities right, yes?
Love,
Mum x
PS We are extremely proud of the mid year report we saw today. Excellent work Mr Curtis!