Dear Ben
You are currently away on a school trip at Stubbington for a week. Initially I thought it was bad timing - we, your parents, are supposed to benefit from time away from you, but my own school trip was at the same time! (Subsequently I haven't ended up going, due to my ongoing tooth issues.)
Due to my short temper and your cheekiness (the birthday card you bought me and the fact that you didn't want to have breakfast!), I said as I waved you off that it was a good idea for us to be separated from you for a week. I meant it. You laughed and agreed. You meant it too.
Other mums said they couldn't look at their sons as they were getting a bit upset (the sons not the mums). They said they had a few tears from their sons the night before. From you? No! Nothing.
Time apart is good for any relationship. Why should mother/son be any different? I'm happy you are with your friends, (hopefully) having the time of your life, sharing a room with your besties and staying up late to watch badgers and foxes in a hide. I hope you remember to clean your teeth. I hope you remember to put out your wet clothes to dry in the drying room. I hope you don't wear the same underwear all week. I hope you do manage to keep your things tidy. I hope you have fun.
But although I am at home with this horrid tooth issue, I'm enjoying not having the same old conversations. "Tea's ready." "Yeah in a minute." "No now." Etc. I'm enjoying not having to keep an eye on bedtime times. I'm enjoying thinking of what I'd like to eat for a change and not what the family might like. I'm enjoying not having to put your shoes away because you forget or you're going to do it "in a minute". I'm enjoying the peace.
The postcard arrived today. It opened with:
"Dear Mum, I'm enjoying my time away from you."
and ended with: "Love you" so I can't complain that much.
Time apart keeps us sane and keeps our relationship healthy.
I would say I miss you, but I don't at the moment!
Love Mum x
You are currently away on a school trip at Stubbington for a week. Initially I thought it was bad timing - we, your parents, are supposed to benefit from time away from you, but my own school trip was at the same time! (Subsequently I haven't ended up going, due to my ongoing tooth issues.)
Due to my short temper and your cheekiness (the birthday card you bought me and the fact that you didn't want to have breakfast!), I said as I waved you off that it was a good idea for us to be separated from you for a week. I meant it. You laughed and agreed. You meant it too.
Other mums said they couldn't look at their sons as they were getting a bit upset (the sons not the mums). They said they had a few tears from their sons the night before. From you? No! Nothing.
Time apart is good for any relationship. Why should mother/son be any different? I'm happy you are with your friends, (hopefully) having the time of your life, sharing a room with your besties and staying up late to watch badgers and foxes in a hide. I hope you remember to clean your teeth. I hope you remember to put out your wet clothes to dry in the drying room. I hope you don't wear the same underwear all week. I hope you do manage to keep your things tidy. I hope you have fun.
But although I am at home with this horrid tooth issue, I'm enjoying not having the same old conversations. "Tea's ready." "Yeah in a minute." "No now." Etc. I'm enjoying not having to keep an eye on bedtime times. I'm enjoying thinking of what I'd like to eat for a change and not what the family might like. I'm enjoying not having to put your shoes away because you forget or you're going to do it "in a minute". I'm enjoying the peace.
The postcard arrived today. It opened with:
"Dear Mum, I'm enjoying my time away from you."
and ended with: "Love you" so I can't complain that much.
Time apart keeps us sane and keeps our relationship healthy.
I would say I miss you, but I don't at the moment!
Love Mum x
Comments