First two weeks of secondary school

Dear Son,

You've just finished your second week in year 7, first year at secondary school; or first year seniors as we used to call it in our day. "My day" was the era of O levels (I was in the last cohort in 1987).  We didn't really choose where to go, unless you wanted to go to grammar school. We caught the bus to the big school in the next town. I don't think we had a transition week like you did (most children these days have only two days - you had a week!). I think we may have gone for a day, I really can't remember. It wasn't a "thing" then. We hadn't just had SATS either. 

You've had a great two weeks, so you say when you're not in earshot of your mates. You say you don't want to appear a try-hard, but I think you are secretly working hard. You're in the top sets for everything. Your first Spanish test went well, learning the numbers/spellings from 1-10. (I think that was because I helped you - it's going to be good practice for me if I have to test you each week!) You even sat down and did your first of seven English projects to be completed before half-term, unasked (to be fair, it was a cartoon!). 


You've made new friends, I keep hearing about C, D and T as well as your mates who are in the same sets as you. You've worked your way around the thumbprint lunch money stuff, timetables (despite losing your first after an hour and asking the head for a copy!), after school clubs and school team matches. 

You did lose your tie early on - you have someone else's now, but hey ho. You did also need help sorting out where your new friend was going to meet you. You also needed help organising walking in with someone. But you've coped. You've even scored 12 achievement points!

On the other hand, I have worried that you were marked absent from PE the other day and quickly messaged the school (no wifi). I've had to let you go with no drop-off. No meeting of new mums in the playground ("Oh that's T's mum" etc). I've had to imagine you in class with no class TA to look out for you. I'm imagining that things are different to how they were in primary. I work in year 3; I help extract children from their parents' arms in the mornings when they are upset; I bag up teeth that have fallen out; I copy fabulous work to take home to parents; I signal to mum that her dear child has had a good day when she's always expecting bad reports; I notice when they're not quite themselves and end up finding out their pet has died. What is secondary school like? Does their teacher know them by name yet? Have they channeled your sense of humour yet? We have a meet the tutor evening next week - I'm nervous! 

As always, we're very proud of you. 

Love, Mum xx